HELEN KAVANAGH: PROOFREADER AND EDITOR
I'm a freelance proofreader and editor based in the North of England. Whether you're a student, an author or a business owner, I can help you to make your written work the best it can be.
My qualifications include:
- Certificate in Proofreading from the Publishing Training Centre. This is an intensive, year-long course requiring rigorous knowledge of English grammar
- First class degree in English
- Masters degree in Creative Writing with distinction
- Masters degree in Archives and Records Management with distinction
- European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
My clients include:
- Prepare to Publish Ltd
-Authors including Michael Heppell, Freddie P Peters and Sarah Nelson Smith
- Birmingham and Solihull NHS Trust
- Blind Veterans UK
- Cumbria County Council
- Unbound (publishing house)
- University of Southampton
- Students - I regularly proofread essays, PhDs and Masters dissertations for individuals studying subjects including Psychology, Theatre Studies and English Literature
I am also a qualified archivist with specialist subject knowledge in Information Management and Modern History. I am Deputy Editor of Reviews and Obituaries for Archives and Records: Journal of the Archives and Records Association.
HOW IT WORKS
After you make contact, I will ask you a few questions to better understand your needs. Together, we will draw up a brief, detailing:
- Your target audience
- What you want the piece of writing to achieve
- The input you require from me. Do you need me to simply check spelling, grammar and punctuation? Does your writing contain references, and if so, do these need to be checked to ensure that they comply with a specific style? Shall I advise on word choice and rework poor phrasing?
- The deadlines we need to meet
- How often we should be in contact
- What I will charge. (My typical rate for an edited book of 70-80,000 words is £300)
"Helen Kavanagh provided an excellent standard of proofreading and editing for our website. Her rates were fair and the results were excellent."
Dr. John Gerald, Advanced Composite Materials Facility, University of Southampton
"Thank you for the tremendous work you did in proofreading my PhD thesis. Your expertise and observations were very valuable in ensuring the writing style was clear and concise.
If you are looking for a reliable and knowledgeable professional who pays great attention to detail, look no further than Helen Kavanagh."
Dr Sara Waring, Lecturer in Psychology, University of Liverpool
"I used Helen's proofreading service for my Doctoral Thesis. She was thorough, efficient and timely in her work. She identified typos and inaccuracies and also provided alternative suggestions for grammar to help make sentences read better. I would not hesitate to use her services again in the future."
Dr. Eleanor Baggott, former Clinical Psychology student, University of Coventry
"Helen has proven a useful addition to our team of editorial freelancers, offering accurate proofreading and a good eye for issues in
a manuscript which need attention."
Andrew Chapman, Chairman, Prepare to Publish Ltd
Many thanks for your excellent work.
Mia Emilie, Author
Contact me with your questions or to arrange a quotation.